and Early Years
May 25th 1923, the Surrey Mirror gave the first news of an exciting new project:
"It is proposed to erect a public hall for the service of Oxted and Limpsfield
and surrounding parishes, to be known as the Barn Theatre. The project originated
with the Oxted and Limpsfield Players, with whom the Crichton Dramatic Club was
early associated. The two clubs, both of which are badly handicapped for the want
of a suitable public hall in the district, appointed a joint committee which will
be responsible for carrying the project through. Numerous meetings have been held,
the best advice has been secured and it is confidently believed that the plans
reach an ideal which has long been entertained by all of those who have practical
experience of the difficulties of organising public and social functions in the
was decided that the best way to raise the money needed was to form a limited
liability public company with a capital of £4,000. The Oxted and Limpsfield
Barn Theatre Company Ltd., chaired by Sir Ernest J. P. Benn, Bart. (grandfather
of Tony Benn) was founded and the shares were offered to the residents of the
site in Blue House Lane had already been chosen due to it being about equidistant
from the centre of the parishes of Oxted and Limpsfield. It was near to the railway
station and close to the "omnibus" route and was subsequently purchased
from the then 'Squire', Hoskins Master in October 1923 for the sum of £275.
The old saw mill barn which stood at the bottom of Limpsfield village had been
purchased from Mr. Lewis G. Fry at a cost of £75 and was to be used as the
main structure for the building. The Limpsfield Sawmill was located roughly where
Limpsfield Village Hall now stands and the bungalow which stands to the north
of the Hall is called 'Old Sawmills'. On the High Street between the two, can
be seen two remaining gateposts of the sawmill which
was still operating after the sawmill barn was removed and re-erected. A recent
specialist survey has confirmed that the main structural timbers from the sawmill
barn date from between 1362 and 1433 with the probability that the sawmill barn
was constructed during 1434. The theatre was to have a seating capacity of 350,
be fitted with a hardwood floor specially designed for dancing, have an efficient
system of ventilation and heating and electric lighting. Ample accommodation in
the way of stage, ante-rooms, dressing-rooms and offices was also planned but
the sale of alchohol was banned by Charles Hoskins Master to safeguard the sales
in the nearby Hoskins Arms which his family owned.
theatre was designed by Matthews Ridley, a firm of architects and built, at a
cost of £3,742 12s 1d, by local contractor James Boodle within a year and
on May 22nd 1924 it was opened by the playwright Mr. Harley Granville Barker of
the British Drama League. Two plays, School for Scandal and As You Like It, were
performed by the local residents during the following week and both received excellent
followed a period of great activity when the demand for lettings was greater than
could be satisfied. The Crichton Dramatic Society and the Oxted and Limpsfield
Players, with a musical section under the direction of Michael
Tippett had first call on the building but it was also used by visiting companies
such as the July Players with celebrity Flora Robson
and the Stranger Players. A strong literary and debating society hosted lectures
by Lady Violet Bonham-Carter
and Randolph Churchill amongst others, a local art exhibition was held yearly,
the Oxted and Limpsfield Horticultural Society staged their autumn show, political
and Brotherhood meetings were held and it was very popular for dances and receptions.
1931 an additional piece of land at the rear of the theatre was purchased for
£136 and the Little Barn constructed. The size of the floor in the Little
Barn is a mirror image of the Barn stage to provide rehearsal space for times
when the theatre was busy.
War and Post-War Years
war of course brought all this to an end and while the theatre escaped serious
bomb damage, it suffered from the various uses to which it was put by the authorities,
being used as an evacuee dispersal station, a billet for a Canadian regiment,
the Seaforth Highlanders and a school. During the occupation by the military the
dressing rooms were used as a canteen and 100 soldiers slept in the auditorium.
They held regular dances and variety shows to which the locals were invited. After
the soldiers left the premises were used by Habadashers Aske School from London
for lessons and for meals for evacuees who had been billeted in Oxted and Limpsfield.
the theatre had been de-requisitioned there was a long period of uncertainty and
its existence was in jeopardy, so much so that approaches from repertory companies
to rent or lease were considered. In 1948, an agreement was entered into with
The Barn Repertory Players and the revival began, or so it was thought.
the time of the next Annual General Meeting, The Barn Repertory Players had failed
and the theatre was in debt to the tune of £67 4s 11d. Surrey County Council
were considering the possible purchase of the theatre, but eventually they lost
interest. The theatre continued to struggle and by 1953 the overdraft was £456
this time, the 1st Oxted Scouts were given permission to build a hut on the land
at the back of the theatre, but this did not help financially as in lieu of rent
they were to keep tidy the theatre surrounds.
1955 the Board of Directors resigned and was replaced by a committee of "working"
Directors who were prepared to run and maintain the theatre. Shortly after, Lionel
Pearson became Chairman of the Board and he was joined in February 1956 by Jack
Wettern who had appeared in the cast of one of the opening plays, School for Scandal
in 1924. Despite having an overdraft of £757 10s 7d in 1956, the interior
was redecorated, a new gas central heating system was installed and the stage
lighting was renewed. By this time the Barn Players, Student
Players and Oxted Operatic Society were the
main users but the dances had to be discontinued in deference to the residents
of Bluehouse Lane.
1957, Ibbett Mosely Card and Co. became the managing agents and provided the registered
office of the Oxted and Limpsfield Barn Theatre Company Ltd.. They held furniture
auctions in the theatre which continued until the auditorium was fitted with raked
the next few years the theatre regularly hosted drama festivals, including a school
festival, a permanent apron was added to enlarge the stage, the rear extension
was re-roofed, a new kitchen and dressing room were formed and by 1962 the theatre
was virtually solvent again. The land the theatre stood on was subject to a covenant
prohibiting the sale of intoxicating liquor but in 1964 the theatre obtained agreement
from the liquidators of the Barrow Green Estate Company to allow a bar to open
six times a year. In 1971 this covenant was fully released.
1970, the old seats from the Plaza Cinema, Oxted were purchased for 3s each and
the idea of forming a Society of Friends was suggested which however did not reach
fruition at this time. 1975 was an expensive year for the theatre as emergency
lighting had to be installed, the roof repaired and death-watch beetle was found.
In 1976 there was an attempted coup at the Annual General Meeting by a group who
felt that the full commercial potential of the theatre was not being exploited
but fortunately the matter was eventually dropped. Also in 1976, the Red Cross
who had occupied the Little Barn moved out to their new building but the space
was quickly taken up by the Little Barn Nursery who are still there today.
development of the theatre continued rapidly. In 1981, Dr.
Eileen Joyce donated a carpet for the foyer and in 1982 a sound system linking
the stage to the lighting box and dressing rooms was installed. Also in 1981,
the Friends of the Barn (FOBS) under the Chairmanship
of Terry Rolph was formed and they provided funds to renew the roof of the theatre.
was the theatre's Diamond Jubilee and the FOBs hosted a nine day festival of music
and drama which included an appearance by Ronnie
Corbett who was a patron of the Barn 2000 appeal. The theatre was re-roofed
at a cost of £8,209 and a 'No Smoking' policy came into force. By this time
the theatre had investigated becoming a charity but this was not considered viable.
1986 the current Chairman Bruce Reed was elected
to office. The sound box, which is also known as the 'Royal Box' was completed
and the new lighting desk installed in 1987. In 1989 a new ticket desk was fitted
in the foyer and by 1991 the auditorium had been provided with raked and new seating
all of which had been funded by the FOBs with a "Buy a Seat" scheme.
the 1990's the theatre became so popular that bookings had to be made years ahead
and up to 18,000 people a year were passing through the door. During this decade
improvements continued apace with the Ladies toilets in the foyer being renewed
in 1993, new gas boilers, fire and smoke alarm systems together with stage and
auditorium curtains in 1994, and the new Gents toilets in 1995. The stage floor
was renewed following a bequest of £10,000 to the Oxted Operatic Society
following the death of Dr Eileen Joyce their
president. 1996 saw the publication of The Barn Theatre News and the What's
On leaflets and an expansion of the lighting board circuits to 48. In 1997
a Hearing Aid Loop was installed in the auditorium courtesy of the Student Players,
the professional standard backstage intercom net was provided and the dream of
the limited company becoming a charity was finally realised on the 10th September
of that year. 1998 saw the installation of a new fully fitted modern kitchen and
much preparation for the project known as Barn 2000
which was launched the previous year. By late 1999 the car park at the rear of
the theatre, the forerunner for Phase One of the project, had been completed and
was in use.
2000 was to provide, much needed new facilities by extending the theatre on the
west side to provide a new bar and refreshment area, a new dressing room and increased
wing space at stage level. The proposals included a new wheelchair friendly toilet
and the provision of a wheelchair lift from dressing room to stage level. The
anticipated costs were £300,000 and it was hoped that Lottery funding would provide
most of this with the works starting in 1999 and completed for the arrival of
the new millennium, hence the title "A Vision for the Millennium". Sadly Lottery
funding was not forthcoming but undaunted and with cash in the bank the works
were commenced in May 2001 with a view to completion in phases as monies permitted.
whole of the project was completed gradually over the next four years, at a cost
of £253,000, within the original budget and exactly as planned without any
compromises. A fantastic achievement made possible by self help, determination
and a lot of patience. It was also great fun, building the biggest set yet at
the Barn! The climax of the whole project was the visit of HRH The Duke of Kent
who performed the formal opening ceremony in February 2005.
success of Barn 2000 encouraged the Theatre Trustees and in November 2006 the
'BarnCool' project was launched. This was to provide air conditioning to the auditorium
and foyer and these works were completed during Summer 2008 at a cost of £80,000.
A new computerised lighting desk and loudspeaker system were also purchased at
the end of that year.
are more plans for the future and at the AGM in 2011, Bruce Reed who was also
celebrating 25 years in the Chair announced that fundraising would begin shortly
for a new backstage toilet and shower block.